Ulcers occur inside your gums or in your mouth. Mouth ulcers do not usually last for a very long time, but, yes, they do cause pain and make it difficult for you to eat or talk. Most ulcer or canker sores heal on their own, within a couple of weeks.
Let us dive more into this blog as it discusses more on folk remedies that can help treat mouth ulcers. Remember that mouth ulcers cannot be treated overnight but these remedies will prove helpful in reducing the pain by initiating the healing process. You can also check with your health care provider before using any of the mouth ulcer home remedies.
- Alum powder – Made up of potassium aluminium sulfate, alum powder is used as a food preservative. Because of its astringent properties, alum powder helps in drying out sores.
Directions for use: Mix a pinch of alum powder with a drop of water and make a paste. Dab the paste onto the canker sore, and leave it for at least 1 minute. Rinse your mouth and repeat this procedure daily till the ulcer gets cured.
- Saltwater – The easiest and readily available remedy is to rinse your mouth with saltwater. Though this can cause a little pain, saltwater can help in drying out canker sores.
Directions for use: Mix one teaspoon of salt in half glass of lukewarm water. Swirl it in your mouth for 15-30 seconds and spit the solution out. If needed you can repeat this procedure every few hours.
- Baking soda – Baking soda helps in reducing inflammation and restores the pH balance.
Directions for use: Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda in half glass of water. Swirl this solution for 15-30 seconds in your mouth and then spit it out. Repeat this procedure every few hours, if needed.
- Honey – Due to its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, honey comes out to be effective in reducing mouth ulcers pain, redness, and size.
Directions for use: Apply honey to the canker sore four times a day, till the sore turns dry and gets cured.
- Hydrogen peroxide – Hydrogen peroxide is one of the best solutions that help in reducing bacteria inside the mouth and promotes quick healing of the sore.
Directions for use: Mix equal parts of water with a 3 per cent solution of hydrogen peroxide. Dab the mixture with a cotton ball and apply the mixture directly to your ulcer a few times every day.
- Milk of magnesia – Milk of magnesia can change the pH level in your mouth as it acts as an acid neutralizer and a laxative. It also prevents the ulcer from getting worse and reduces the pain.
Directions for use: Apply a small amount of milk of magnesia on your canker sore and let it dry for some seconds and then rinse. Repeat this procedure three times a day.
- Chamomile – To cure ulcer wounds and ease the pain naturally, chamomile is used. A chamomile tea bag can help relieve pain and compress canker sores.
Directions for use: Apply a wet chamomile tea bag to your canker sore and leave the bag on your sore for some time. You can also rinse your mouth with freshly brewed chamomile tea, and repeat the same procedure three to four times a day.
- Echinacea – Echinacea works wonders in healing the ulcer wound and boosting immunity. Echinacea can also prevent canker sores from developing again.
Directions for use: Mix equal parts of water with 1 teaspoon of liquid echinacea. Then, swish the solution for about 2 minutes in your mouth. You can either spit or swallow the mixture. Repeat this procedure up to three times a day.
- Sage tea – Treat mouth inflammation using sage tea. Sage mouthwash is rich in astringent, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties. Sage tea works effectively in treating various oral problems and also in reducing ulcer pain.
Directions for use: Add a few fresh sage leaves to boiling water and let it boil for 5 minutes. Strain and then cool down the solution. Rinse the solution around your mouth for a couple of minutes and spit the solution out.
- Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar helps in killing the bacteria in the mouth, due to its acidic nature.
Directions for use: Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water. Swish this solution around your mouth and rinse your mouth thoroughly for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Repeat this procedure every day!
Apart from the folk remedies discussed-above, if your ulcer pain still persists then contact your dentist immediately. They can help you fix your oral health issues!
If you are looking for any natural options try Smyle Ayurvedic Mouth Ulcer Gel. Packed with 9 powerful ayurvedic herbs – Tulsi, Pudina, Adulsa, Ginger, Haldi, Karpoor, Pimpli, Yashtimadhu, & Navsagar, this ulcer gel provides complete protection and heals your mouth ulcer most naturally and efficiently. Worried whether this gel is safe or not?
Do not! As this gel is ayurvedic formulated and hence considered safe for the entire family, including kids and pregnant women. Why wait? Try it right away!