Cough syrups provide relief from running nose, cough, and sneezing that is caused due to the common cold, or other upper respiratory allergies.
What is a Cough?
A cough is a reflex that is generated in response to the irritation of the airways which is caused in the lungs. So, when you cough, it can be segregated into:
- Dry Cough – Absence of mucus or phlegm while coughing.
- Wet Cough – Lungs produce more mucus or phlegm than normal while coughing.
Active Ingredients Used in Cough Syrup
- Pseudoephedrine – An active ingredient that is present in the cough syrup which helps in relieving nasal congestion.
- Dextromethorphan – Is an active ingredient that is used to counter the brain signals that trigger the cough reflexes and suppresses cough.
- Guaifenesin – This ingredient helps in relieving chest congestion and also thins mucus.
- Pain relievers – Some cough syrups are based on Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, etc., and help in relieving body pains that are caused due to cough and also counters the flu symptoms.
Different Types of Cough Syrups
Cough syrups are classified based on how they treat different cough symptoms. They differ in composition proportion and combinations, to get the expected outcomes:
- Mucolytic syrup (Mucokinetics) – Clears the mucus or phlegm from the airways, bronchi, trachea, and lungs. Some commonly used mucolytic cough syrups are Carbocisteine, Ambroxol, and Bromhexine.
- Antihistamine syrup – An antihistamine cough syrup treats rhinitis and running nose in adherence to certain mild sedative effects. Some of the examples include Chlorpheniramine, Diphenhydramine, Loratadine, Cetrizine, and Brompheniramine.
- Expectorant cough syrup – These type of syrups enhance mucus formation to reduce coughs and is especially prescribed to kids. Some of the best examples include Dextromethorphan, Codeine, Pholcodine, Butamirate, and Noscapine.
Benefits of Cough Syrup
The advantage of using a cough syrup is probably known to everyone, but some of the best benefits of having a cough syrup are discussed below:
- Induces sleep – Dextromethorphan cough syrup affects the brain receptors and restricts signals that trigger cough reflexes. The most common benefit of using such types of syrups is that you can sleep easily. Dextromethorphan is one of the most commonly used cough syrups to treat patients with insomnia.
- Availability in abundance – The most easily accessed drug for cough and other associated symptoms are codeine-based cough syrups. These are sold as over the counter cough medicines and many medical practitioners consider these types of syrups as an effective and useful drug to cure cough.
- Best when combined with placebo – There is no proven cure for cough and cold infections, but cough syrups medication when combined with placebo executes effective results on a patient who are suffering from cold and cough-like symptoms. A wide range of cough suppressant options are available in the market, and this combination suppresses brain functions, reduces cough, and also acts as bronchodilator syrups.
A cough syrup when consumed starts working to relieve discomfort that arises from symptoms like fever and body aches. No medicine gives 100% surety in treating cough, but the placebo effect plays the rest of the part.
Which is the Best Cough Syrup?
Apart from the above-discussed, if you are looking out for any herbal solution to help treat your cough or any other related conditions, then try Smyle Adulsa Tulsi Haldi Ayurvedic Cough Syrup.
Smyle cough syrup is enriched with 9 powerful ayurvedic herbs (Tulsi, Pudina, Adulsa, Ginger, Haldi, Karpoor, Pimpli, Yashtimadhu, and Navsagar), and is a remedy that is straight from nature. Smyle cough syrup is trusted by 150 million users worldwide, because of its unique gargle-and-gulp therapy and instant in providing extreme relief from cough and other related conditions such as a wet cough, dry cough, cold, sore throat, and congestion, this cough syrup is proven to be the best cough reliever for many people who have tried it. For further information about this product, you can check out this page –